When we first thought about walking the Camino de Santiago, we didn’t know much at all. We had heard about it, and then watched a documentary with Paulo Coelho (who apparently decided to become a writer while walking the Camino) and the movie The Way with Martin Sheen.
We then researched and found a few good websites. But they mainly talked about the different routes, broken up into the usual 25-30km stages, what to pack, etc. Some of our questions were still left unanswered. Just before we started walking, we also found some Facebook groups, where people asked questions as they prepared for their Camino. By that time though, we were already packed and on our way.
If you are planning your first Camino and have (like us) gazillion questions about what to expect, today’s article is for you. Having done our first one (and very likely not the last), we have learned a few lessons, which we share with you here.
Lesson 1: Carry no more than 10% of your body weight
While we only carried 12kg/26.5lbs between us, I carried 9kg/20lbs in my normal carry-on backpack, and Paul’s Matador Daylite16 backpack weighed 3kgs/6.5lbs. He had undergone back surgery only three months before we did our Camino, so he couldn’t carry full weight just yet. It was doable, largely because we only averaged 10km/day, but it wasn’t the most comfortable.
If and when we do it again (assuming it would be without either one of us having an injury), we’d split the weight more evenly between us – the recommended backpack weight is 10% of your body weight (maximum 6kg/13lbs for me and 8kg/17.5lbs for Paul) – and use a proper hiking backpack.
Lesson 2: Mix up your accommodation to get a good night’s sleep
The best place to meet fellow pilgrims and make new friends are the albergues. However, sharing a room with heaps of other people doesn’t make for a great sleep: A lot of people snore (and often right next to you). Some pilgrims get up at the crack of dawn and wake everyone else: with crunching plastic bags, opening and closing noisy zippers, banging doors etc.
While earplugs help to some extent, having your own room and bathroom every once in a while will save your sanity.
- THE ORIGINAL AND #1 SELLING - USA’s original and #1 selling moldable silicone ear plugs. Provides safe, non-toxic, non-allergenic waterproof protection and protects hearing from loud noises.
- THE ULTIMATE IN EARPLUG COMFORT - Mack’s soft moldable silicone putty molds very comfortably to the unique contours of any ear. These multi-use earplugs are great for sleeping, snoring, swimming, studying, bathing, travel, loud events, concerts, flying discomfort, motorcycles, etc. Lab tested and proven to help relieve airplane ear pressure and pain due to flying.
- #1 BRAND FOR SNORING - Mack’s is the #1 Doctor Recommended Brand to get a good night’s sleep when sleeping with a snoring spouse. Mack’s Earplugs have been saving marriages since 1962.
- #1 BRAND FOR PREVENTING EAR INFECTIONS - Mack’s is the #1 Doctor Recommended Brand to help prevent swimmer’s ear infections (otitis externa). Safe for use with ear tubes. Provides protection after ear surgeries. Also helps prevent Surfer’s Ear (exostosis). Mack’s are so trusted, they are the Official Earplugs of USA Swimming!
- #1 BRAND USED BY DOCTORS - Mack’s is the #1 brand of moldable silicone earplugs personally used by doctors. Mack’s original soft silicone putty formula provides a better, more comfortable fit and seal than custom molded ear plugs. These ear plugs are MADE IN THE USA and carry a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 22 decibels.
- IMPRESSIVELY NOISE REDUCTION ABILITY & EAR PROTECTION: The high noise reduction level NRR 32 (Noise Reduction Rating) ensure to protect your hearing from loud noise, also you can leave the silicone ear plugs in your ears while you take a dive into a swimming pool and enjoy a few hours of the swimming session.
- SAFETY SILICONE MATERIALS: Made of high-grade silicone material, They are BPA free, washable, reusable, and safe to use,means that you can use them for as long as possible. Soft surface enables no paining or any discomfort. ANBOW earplugs will serve you for years.
- COMFORTABLE & EASY TO USE: Due to the ultra-soft material and ergonomically designed shape, the noise cancelling ear plugs can fit your ear perfectly, you will enjoy with them in every moment.They're also extremely easy to set, unlike the foam types, just spin and insert, ANBOW silicone earplugs will start to work without waiting for seconds.
- CAN BE WIDELY USED: ANBOW silicone ear plugs can easily block all types of noise. They are the best for factories and commercial areas, construction sites, flying and travel, sleeping, swimming and other water sports, concerts and live music, and they are also great for many other locations, situations,and activities.
- YOU WILL GET MORE: The earplugs are individually packed in a plastic storage box, no more worry to lose them. Bonus WATERPROOF POUCH can easily holds 2 pairs,for convenience to travel and outdoor use. One extra pair in the pack in case of missing any pair of them.
- What you receive: you will receive 21 pairs silicone ear plugs in different colors, the sufficient quantity will meet your various needs and you can also replace your old one or as a backup
- Ear-friendly silicone material: made of soft silicone material, the moldable earplugs are lightweight and comfortable to wear even for a whole day, which are also reusable that you just need to clean them regularly and leave them dry naturally for future use
- Comfortable fit: the noise cancelling ear plugs are designed to fit ear canal without making any pressure, suitable for both adults and kids, these ear plugs cover the ear canal tight enough that will not fall out even when side sleeping
- Dual functions: the waterproof ear plugs have good noise reduction performance, muffing noise from construction site, concert, or traffic so that you can have a better environment for sleeping or studying; With good water resistance, the earplugs can also protect your ears while swimming (but note that silicone earplugs aren't recommended for outdoor swimming on a hot day)
- Travel packaging: the package comes with 3 big boxes and 3 travel size storage box to keep these reusable sleeping ear plugs clean when not in use, friendly to travelling and daily commuting, also prevent loss
Lesson 3: Even a Camino on the cheap costs about EUR25 per day
You can do the Camino on the cheap by staying only in municipal albergues and self-catering every day. To do that, you’ll have to carry food with you, as there is not always a groceries shop (open) when you need one (refer lesson 5).
To give yourself a bit more wiggle room, budget at least EUR25/day: EUR10 for accommodation (in albergues), EUR10 for a pilgrim’s lunch plus EUR5 for a DIY dinner and breakfast. And don’t forget to budget for the day/s before you start/after you finish.
Lesson 4: Protecting the environment is not as easy as you think (but you can do your bit)
Speaking of self-catering: small traditional stores where they shave the ham off the bone or slice up the cheese for you without wrapping them in tons of plastic are surprisingly hard to come by on the Camino. Most food you buy in shops along the way comes pre-packaged, sadly.
If you carry your own food, try and buy at markets (or those traditional stores) as much as you can and reduce plastic waste by bringing a reusable container, a lightweight chopping board and a spork. You can use the container also to bring home any leftovers if and when you dine out (tortilla makes for a nice breakfast the next morning).
- Durable and High Quality Food Grade 18/8 Stainless Steel Construction
- Comes with BPA-free Polypropylene #5 cap with Stainless Steel bottom to create an all-stainless interior
- Large 2.125 inch (54 millimeter) opening fits ice, easy to fill and pour; Compatible with all Klean Kanteen Wide caps
- Easy to clean electropolished interior doesn't retain or impart flavors
- Backed by the Klean Kanteen Strong as Steel Guarantee
Lesson 5: Grocery shops are not open around the clock
Especially if you self-cater your Camino, be aware that most grocery shops are closed from Saturday afternoon to Monday morning, and over lunch. Dinner in Spain is usually not before 2000h, and simple bars/cafeterias often only serve bread-based meals: bocadillos (a baguette sandwich with cheese, ham etc) or tostadas (a toasted open sandwich).
Plan your (weekend) meals ahead and stop for a cooked pilgrim’s lunch along the way (which will tide you over until dinner, if not the next morning). Bring snacks (muesli bars and apples are great) as an emergency supply.
Lesson 6: A sleeping bag is not always needed
All private albergues (we stayed in) and some municipal albergues provide blankets and linen (at least on the Camino Portugués). Unless you plan to stay only/mostly in municipal albergues, you won’t need to bring a sleeping bag (just a liner) in Spring/Autumn. If you are getting cold easily just put on another layer of clothing or grab another blanket, which is easy as in Spring/Autumn albergues are never full.
Lesson 7: Galicia is juicy green for a reason… it’s called rain
It rains a lot in Galicia, at any time of the year. So, don’t skip on the rain cover, even in Summer. Bring a light-weight but sturdy rain poncho that covers you and your backpack. And count yourself lucky if you do get to Santiago without a drop of rain.
- Ultra-Lite2 Rain Poncho includes a packable, waterproof poncho
- Made with Frogg Toggs breathable, non-woven fabric that is waterproof, wind-resistant, and lightweight
- Poncho features an adjustable hood with cord locks and side snaps for extra protection
- Stuff sack included for easy toting
- Perfect for rain emergencies, sports sidelines or outdoor adventures
- PORTABLE AND COMPACT: We will present a color matched pouch for easy storage and carrying in handbag, backpack or suitcase in case of sudden rain.Can be folded into a compact size of 9.8In x6In
- [MATERIAL]100% Polyester. It is fabric, not plastic. waterproof eco-friendly , extremely water resistant, quick drying, Loose Sleeve.Light Texture Super Waterproof and Breathable
- [SAFE]Strong waterproof backing with heat sealed seams - polyester fabric is soft to the touch yet completely waterproof
- [SAFE]Extremely water resistant, quick drying, long body piece with a big hooded cap keeping you dry from head to foot.It had a piece of elastic inside that you can pull tighter around the hood.Please refer the size detail information or contact directly if any question.
- Keep You Dry: Our Anyoo Unisex Adult Rain Poncho will keep you nice and dry, regardless of whether you are hillwalking or cycling. It is hooded with a cord adjuster to well protect your face, hook and loop fasteners along the sides ensures the perfect fit. Made of 210T ripstop nylon fabric + PVC coating, this rain poncho is PU3000MM waterproof. Each poncho is a piece of complete cloth which sewn together with the hood part. The overlock is well glued to prevent leaking.
- Breathable and Comfortable: Don't worry that it will make you very hot because the arm holes & bottom are loose enough to allow air circulation.The display size of this poncho is 86" X 55". The size is large enough to cover up a backpack as well. It offers excellent freedom of movement, which makes it very comfortable to wear. You can adjust the hood and the side fasteners to suit your needs.
- Lightweight and Packable: This unisex rain poncho from Anyoo gives you maximum coverage when you need it, plus easily folds into a compact size of 9 x 3 x 3 in. It can be stored away into the drawstring bag as a sort of emergency rain jacket and taken out and worn when needed. You can carry it around with you with ease saving you from carrying around a bulky raincoat. Weighs only approx. 10 oz in carry bag.
- Durable and Resuable: Made from rip resistant nylon material, with thickened eyelets, the rain poncho offers better weather protection and are permanently water repellent and extremely resistant to abrasion and tearing. Prepare yourself for those unexpected downpours with this emergency rain poncho. A must-have for camping trips, festivals or days out.
- Multi-use: A multi-function item has eyelets on the hem for use as a shelter or ground sheet, and hook & loop fasteners on the sides allowing you to use it as a sleeping bag cover. The fasteners allow "sleeves" to be formed so you can still handle equipment easily. Our Anyoo Unisex Adult Rain Poncho is perfect for the traveler, outdoor enthusiast, or for any outdoor activity with rain on the horizon.
Lesson 8: There are trade-offs in walking (less than) the average per day
Many pilgrims walk 25-30km/day. With breaks, that’s a whole day of walking (every day). While you cover a lot of ground, you don’t actually get to see more than what can be seen from the Camino. If you do it slower you have the time and energy to explore a bit more. Baiona, Redondela, Pontevedra, Combarro and Padrón are all worthy of your time – and that’s only the Galician part of the Camino Portugués.
If you do walk shorter distances each day though be aware that you will be meeting and walking with new people every day. And by the time you reach Santiago, most of your new friends will be (long) gone. As a compromise, you could mix shorter with longer days.
Lesson 9: Get at least two stamps a day
You need to get at least 2 stamps a day for your pilgrim’s credentials. That’s especially important for the last 100km of your Camino (200km if you cycle).
We only discovered that requirement 25 kilometers before reaching Santiago. We only got stamps at our nightly accommodation but wondered why cafes and churches offered them too. Fortunately, we started our Camino in Caminha, on the Portuguese side of the Minho river which separates Galicia from Portugal, and the Pilgrim’s Office was kind enough to give us the Compostela even without the two stamps/day. Phew…
Lesson 10: Spring is a great season to walk the Camino
Spring (mid March to mid June) is a nice time to walk: There are fewer pilgrims. Guesthouse and hotel accommodation is cheaper (a double room with own bathroom often costing the same as two dorm beds). The temperature is very pleasant for walking – not too hot/not too cold. And everything around you is in bloom (hearing the humming of the bees and chirping of the birds is the most pleasant background ‘noise’).
Doing the Camino in Spring though also has downsides: Fewer places are open (especially places where you can eat). And the weather can be pretty atrocious (refer lesson 7).
Lesson 11: No pain no gain… just keep going
Expect to hurt. At least to some degree and at some stage. That’s normal. Just take one day at a time and continue walking (even if just a few kilometres a day). Only stop if you really have to. Keeping that in mind, make sure you leave enough time for (a) rest day/s.
- EQUIPPED to suit your needs and optimized for a large variety of injuries and having all the 1st aid items gathered ahead of time will help you handle unexpected moments (includes CPR Mask, Bandaids, Blanket, Tourniquet and more). Trusted by families, lifeguards, parents, students, teachers, nurses, doctors, EMT's, construction workers, truck drivers and professional business offices.
- DURABLE & COMPACT (7.5" x 5.2" x 1.5"). Easy to carry and lightweight, yet holds all the essential supplies (100 pcs with great shelf life, refill when necessary). It has just the right pocket size so it fits anywhere in your RV, atv, yacht, boat, jeep, bike or motorcycle.
- TAKE THE FIRST STEP TO PREPARE for any situation that may arise. Make sure you store it in your bug out bag, backpack, car glove box, baby diaper handbag, purse or med cabinet for quick access. Recommended for most daily use or survival adventures: Workplace, School, College, Kitchen, Road Trips, Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Wilderness, Kids Playground and more.
- HIGHEST STANDARDS. Manufactured with the finest equipment in a modern facility, you can be sure of first-aid contents that will not let you down (especially if you live in Earthquake Prone Areas or exposed to other natural disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes or flooding).
- Total commitment to make YOU HAPPY & Satisfaction Guarantee. If you don't absolutely love it, simply contact us and we'll make it right.
- First aid kit measures 5.5 x 11 x 1 inches and weighs approximately 3.68 ounces
- Accommodates 1 person for 1-2 days
- Includes a wide array of medical supplies to treat pain, inflammation, and common allergies
- Wraps and bandages assist to immobilize fractures and provide support
- Antiseptic wipes and butterfly bandages help clean and close small wounds
- Emergency Care: A total of 299 essential first aid supplies for treating minor aches and injuries
- Set Include: Adhesive fabric and plastic bandages, antibiotic ointments, BZK antiseptic towelettes, burn cream packets, aspirin, ibrufen, gauze roll and pads, wound closures, cold pack, and other multi-use items for any potential emergency
- Convenient Packaging: Fabric case with clear plastic pockets for organization and easy access to first aid supplies in an emergency
- Compact and Spacious: Two separate layers with individual compartments make retrieval easy and quick
- First Aid Care Ideal For: First aid care for home, travel, and on the go use
Lesson 12: Test your fitness and your gear
Speaking of pain: We met quite a few fellow pilgrims who did training walks (with and without their backpacks) for months before commencing their Camino. We didn’t. But then, we walk (almost) every day with our 10kg/22lbs carry-on backpacks anyway. We also walk in the same shoes (almost) every day (and wear merino socks). As a result, we didn’t have any blisters whatsoever, and we don’t think they would have magically appeared had we doubled our daily distance.
If your lifestyle is more nascent, and you drive everywhere, definitely get used to walking more (with weight on your back) before you embark on your Camino. You could, for example, carry your groceries home in your Camino backpack instead of taking the car.
Also, get some good merino socks and walk a lot in the shoes you’re going to wear. We found our Salomons to be the best allrounders for the terrain (and weather) on our Camino.
Lesson 13: Don’t be an easy target… protect your stuff
We’ve heard of fellow pilgrims who got robbed while sleeping in their albergue. It doesn’t happen often but it does happen, sadly. With some pilgrims leaving early, the thieves are long gone by the time you discover that your money or other valuables have disappeared.
Don’t assume that everyone staying in your albergue is a fellow pilgrim. If there are no lockers (which is generally the case in municipal albergues), make it hard for others to access your money/valuables: lock your backpacks with a small padlock, attach them to your bedpost, take valuables with you when you go out.
- 【Value Pack & 3 Pack】One package includes 2 pack of 4 digit combination padlock, with a Max 5-ft braided steel security cable.
- 【Widely Use & More Choices】 Spring wire cable diameter of 4 mm / 0.16 in, length of 100 mm / 4 in, stretchable to 1.5 m / 60 in, which can be freely rolled or stretched into any shape to meet various need. Combination lock with braided steel cable is a good partner, can be used for more choices, ideal for most light-duty tasks such as travel luggage, bag, baggage, helmet, bike, chest, school, employee, gym & sports locker, case, fence, toolbox, gate, hasp cabinet & storage and etc.
- 【High Security】 4 digit combination lock for keyless convenience, offers a extra level of security with 10000 combinations, 10 times safer than 3 digit combination lock. Braided galvanized steel security cable with rust-protective vinyl increase cut resistance, and vinyl covering for steel cable protects against rust and scratching.
- 【Durable Material & Excellent Design】The combination lock has cast metal body, it has antirust, waterproof, cut-resistance function because of the hardened zinc alloy and plated steel material. Convenient and keyless design, these combination locks have more advantages than other key lockers. Small volume and light weight for indoor and outdoor. Side window for easy combination.
- 【100% Money-Back & "Risk-Free" Guarantee】We will replace or refund your purchase if you have any problems. Disecu prizes customer satisfaction, and we will do our utmost to provide you with the best service possible. Join us, and experience effective security control at the best price.
- 【Value Pack & 2 Pack】One packaging includes a heavy duty 4 digit long shackle combination padlock, with a 6-ft heavy duty security steel cable.
- 【High Security】 The flexible vinyl coated braided steel cable provides strong cut resistance and maximum strength. And vinyl covering for steel cable protects against rust and scratching. 4 digit combination lock for keyless convenience, offers a extra level of security with 10000 combinations, 10 times safer than 3 digit combination lock.
- 【Durable Material & Excellent Design】 Combination lock is constructed with a cast metal body for strength and weather ability, it has antirust, waterproof, cut-resistance function. Convenient and keyless design, bottom window for easy set your own combination lock. Security steel cable features 10mm diameter with 7 braided steel cables, the construction provides strength and flexibility along with strong cut-resistance, double-looped ends allow for use with padlock.
- 【Widely Use】 Security steel cable diameter of 10 mm / 0.4 in, length of 1800 mm / 70 in. Combination padlock with security steel cable is a good partner, can be used for more choices, ideal for most tasks such as bike, chest, school, employee, gym & sports locker, case, fence, coolers, gate, hasp cabinet & storage and and other large items.
- 【Life Time Warranty】 Your satisfaction is the value of disecu lock’s existence! Any unsatisfactory purchase of this long shackle combination padlock and security steel cable, contact us at anytime, we can resend you free replacement or refund you the full payment.
- Cable twisted steel with a plastic covering to prevent rusting.
- 32" Inch Combination Cable Bicycle Lock.
- Weighs around 100g. Size 32" inches / 81cm / 2ft 8" approx.
- Affordable, simple security.
Lesson 14: Don’t leave Santiago too soon… soak it up
Stay an extra day or more. You deserve it.
Or do what Martin Sheen did in The Way. Don’t stop walking…